Union Plus program helps with job loss, nonreimbursed hospital bills, college savings
WITH MANY WORKING families in financial distress as a result of the sharp downturn in the U.S. economy, Union Plus is launching a program of new and enhanced benefits to assist eligible union members facing hardships.
The new benefits program, called Union SAFE — for Security, Assistance, and Financial Education — provides a wide array of benefits, including help for those suffering from layoffs, to soaring hospital costs, mortgage debt, and college savings.
These benefits include:
- Credit Counseling Services, budgeting advice, and no-fee debt management and bankruptcy counseling benefits.
- Hospital Care Grants of $1,000 to help members who have been hit with large, unreimbursed hospital expenses who participate in the Union Plus Credit Card, Mortgage, or UnionSecure Insurance programs.
- Job Loss Grants of $250 for Union Plus Credit Card holders who have been recently laid off for more than 90 days.
- Mortgage Assistance to help Union Plus Mortgage holders who become unemployed, disabled, or go on strike make their mortgage payments.
- A College Savings Grant of $500 to members who open new 529 tax-free college savings accounts or pre-paid tuition accounts of at least $1,000 by June 30.
In addition, the Union SAFE initiative expands and increases other Union Plus benefits, such as:
- Increasing the number of Union Plus Credit Card Disability Grants (which range from $1,000 to $2,000) available to cardholders who have experienced a significant loss of income within the past six months due to a recent disability that has kept them out of work for 90 days.
- Expanding the availability of $500 Disaster Relief Grants to participants in the Union Plus Credit Card, Mortgage, and UnionSecure Insurance programs.
More information and grant applications are available at UnionPlus.org/UnionSAFE.
Union Privilege, founded by the AFL-CIO in 1986, develops and manages the Union Plus benefits program, which uses the combined buying power of America’s union members to obtain top quality goods and services at competitive prices. In addition to a money-saving credit card, the Union Plus programs include free and discounted legal services, education services, discounted health services, a home buying program, travel and recreation discounts, and much more. For more information, visit www.UnionPlus.org.